Wednesday, April 19, 2006

1st 21 Day Challenge, Full disclosure

Today will be my 8th WI. Despite Easter I'm expecting a weight loss, probably only 1 lb but, I'll take it. I hope.
I've also started a 21 Day Challenge. I'm a firm believer in the Ben Franklin quote "Beer is proof that God not only loves us but, wants us to be happy." I like my beer but, it costs a lot of points.
Liquor,specifically tequila has only 2 points per shot versus beer's 3. Also,when I did the South Beach diet awhile ago they really stressed the sugars/carbs in beer to be very bad. So, I developed a taste for gin; two summers ago I traded my Sam Adams for Tanqueray & tonic.
Now I enjoy a shot of tequila after my workout. If I have enought activity points I might have two shots. I workout down in the basement. Post workout I sit in a chair that's 10' away from a shelf that my family stores about 20 bags of chips(my wife bought on some soda $20 back rebate thing). Having a couple of shots in me impedes my impulse control & have ripped into a bag of chips from time to time; and you know once the bag is open it's not going to last very long. So,stating the obvious,a bag of potato chips after a workout,plus the liquor adds up to a lot of unnecessary points. At the very least it blows the whole WAP in one fell swoop. Long term, I have to be honest I'm drinking tequila at a faster rate than I previously drank beer. I don't mind being a member of WW but, I don't want to have to join AA. The obvious side effects to drinking are well know & I know better.
So,my 21 day challenge is no alcohol of any kind. It will help me post workout and will be easier on the liver. At the end of the 21 days I may go back to an occasional treat of alcohol but,it will be in the form of my 1st love:beer. I won't automatically conclude my workout with a beer either. I will resume my old ways and not have a brew more than a couple of times a week.

No comments: