DD caught a flu bug Monday; she felt sick to her stomach immediately after dinner & went right to bed, which is unusual because she's up 'til after eleven most nights. Monday was another scorcher & I thought she might have got heat exhaustion. Wrong. She had an intestinal type flu, diarrhea, vomitting, headache, all that crap. She felt pretty good the next morning but, said it took an extra day to be totally recovered.
Tuesday I spent another eleven hour day on the ladder. I attacked the dormers over the garage (primed & painted) & the garage's lower half (primed). It was hot & humid, and I was in the direct sunlight for a lot of the day. I drank a lot of fluids, especially iced tea. At the end of the day I was really wiped & managed only a half hour on the recumbent bike instead of the run I had planned. I was so tired when I was through I could fallen asleep on the floor right next to the bike. That was unusal, I'm usually pretty jazzed up after a workout for at least an hour or two.
I had caught DD's flu. I was up most of the night tossing & turning with numerous trips to the bathroom. The excess of caffeine from all the tea probably didn't help either. DW couldn't have got much sleep either because I wouldn't lie in the same positon for more than ten minutes. My assistant is off on Wednesdays so, I had no choice but, to go to work. Ugh. I haven't called in sick more than once in 12 years. I worked from 7-6. I was miserable. I can't remember being that wobbly. I took a nap at lunch time & was just as out of it when I got back. I'm not even sure I should have been driving. My receptionist was very concerned for me & one of the other ladies kept remarking how bad I looked. To make matters worse, I wasn't drinking my usual dose of coffee & the relentless headache I had all day might've been due in part to caffeine withdrawal. Ouch. I'm a stoic, hardworking dumbass & was always taught you stay in the game until the coach takes you out. Oh well. I made it home. I slept for about eleven hours. DD & DW were both very nice to me. Unusual.
From a WW's perspective what really sucked, due to the illness was I was about four lbs heavier than I was the week before. I was hardly eating anything at all. I was sick & trying to flush my body by tanking up on water but, nothing was coming out. The pipes were stopped. Wed is WI, there was no way I was going anywhere after work beside home so I passed.
Thursday came. After 4 in the morning I woke up feeling much better & had to pee about four times before I got up at 6. Some of my body's functions were returning. Work wasn't so bad. The receptionist said I looked better was still kind of pale & again told me I should've gone home Wed. I didn't have much of an appetite still but, managed a couple of granola bars during the day. I never lose my appetite. Never. I drank plenty of water & had only one coffee. I wasn't totally recovered but, will avoid unnecessary graphic details.
I went home at 1, took DD to an appointment with an orthopedic specialist. It turns out she has one hip a little taller than other. Mechanically this has created a walking gait that has put extra strain on the arch of her left foot. She had been complaining about intermittent pain for about a year. Bottom line: she needs orthotics. The doctor (nice guy,very informative) gave us advice what to look for in shoes & fitted her for a couple of wedges to insert into her shoes. It's going to take a couple of weeks for her to adjust. She's having difficulty coping with the fact that something isn't perfect on her body. I tried to tell her it's like reading glasses, nothing to be ashamed of, but, a necessary adjustment that will make her life better.
After the appointment we hit the library, came home, & I put a few hours in on the ladder. The forecast said rain was a'coming & might last for a couple of days so wobbly legs and all I decided to put the finish coat on the lower half of the garage & put the new shutters up on the dormers. DW came home & helped paint some of the lower half. I cut out to go to a WI but, came back & painted until dark, close to 9. Not smart. What could've made the day really interesting is I had radio playing a local college station & the reggae show I had started with segued into a pretty heavy rap show. By the time I actually listened to the lyrics, the show had been on for about an hour already. It seemed every other word was "bitch" or "nigger". Maybe that's urban cool in the right environment but, in whitebread suburbo-land it's not what the neighbors want to hear. Especially since the guy across the street is black & not somebody I'd want to offend, because he's my neighbor & a great guy & built like built like Big Papi.
WI Thurday. It felt strange going to a different day meeting. Only one of the ladies were familiar so, I cut out after WI. Bottom line: 2.8 lb loss. I'm happy with the result. I don't know how much of the loss was due to being sick. The online WW genie scolded me this morning when I logged my weight. Up yours.
Rain is forecast for tonight & most of the weekend. I went home & painted during lunch. There are people who exercise excessively; they're called chronic exercisers. Am I becoming a chronic painter? I don't think so, I'm looking forward to a little downtime this weekend. The 06 Paint Challenge is still longterm a great idea; we're saving a ton of money doing it ourselves & it's satisfying work, but, all the same it feels like a prison sentence at times.
My health. I feel much, much better. My belly's still gurgling like I've got two hamsters running loose down there. I long to break wind with confidence again. I want to run again. I've taken two nights off from working & want to avoid a third. At this point one shitty workout's better than none at all.
I hope DW lets me rest.
I'm Pete.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment