Saturday, July 15, 2006

Counter-intuitive First Aid

Okay. Last night. Up on the roof over the porch. I got stung by a hornet. I've been painting since Memorial Day & changed about ten pairs of shutters & one of the little bastards finally got me.

It didn't really hurt that much. I got stung on the back of my right hand just as I was removing a shutter. It swelled up pretty good but, didn't hurt that much. I felt a burning itch & wondered if I was allergic to hornets. DD was concerned that the stinger was broken off in my hand.

I had rowing on tap for last night. I briefly considered blowing it off in light of my hand but, I'm not working out tonight & don't usually take off two days in a row. So, I rowed for a half hour. Sweat like a bastard even though the basement was cool. When I was done I looked at my hand. The swelling & the redness was almost completely gone. It still itches a little bit this morning but, I can hardly tell where I got stung.

I wouldn't think working out with an injured paw would be the correct first aid treatment but, this time it was.

A similar thing happened to me a few years ago. I had begun lifting weights with my brother & had injured my back. I'd like to say I got injured because I was powerlifting some tremendous weight but, that wouldn't be true. I think I did it by lifting the plates onto the bar. The twisty-bending motion of lifting the plate injured a bunch of muscles in my back. Throughout most of that summer my back killed first thing in the morning. I had to lever myself out of bed with my arms. The pain would go away shortly after I got up & moving but, it was excruciating first thing in the morning & for most of the summer just wouldn't go away.

DD & DW (not quite,we weren't married yet) went to Six Flags. DD had just grown tall enough to go on the scary rides. Batman, Superman,Knightwing, the roller coaster were all open to her. DW wouldn't go on them because she was scared. I volunteered. Every one of those rides have signs warning that people who are pregnant, have heart conditions or BAD BACKS should stay away. Stupid me I went on them anyway. It killed. The rides were fun but, painful. I felt like I was in traction most of the time. I thought I was going to really suffer the next morning. I was wrong. Somehow the weight, the pulling, the G forces must've realigned all the little muscles in my back. I woke up to a pain free back & never had a relapse. So, fuck the chiropractor. If you're back hurts hit the rollercoaster.

No comments: