Life is a process. Add something new & expect a period of adjustment.
I lost weight. I buy new clothes. Priyanka (DD)pretty much made me throw out any shirt XL. I replaced everything XL with L sized items. I'm starting to fit into Medium. Alka (DW)doesn't like the idea of another load of cash being dumped in all medium shirts but, what are you going to do? I'm 182.4 at the last WI. I've got at least another 20 lbs to go. I don't dress in Armani. I don't have to replace everything but, if I'm going to have a trim(ish) physique I want some clothes to reflect it. Compromise. Adjustment.
Because I lost weight I started running again in April. Running & training doesn't affect family life anymore than rowing & Nordic Track did. I exercise every night. I wait until after dinner & the chores are done. The only difference being that I go outside for a period of time instead of down into the basement.
I know Priyanka is pleased that I'm running. She felt bad that she missed Applefest. I know she wants me to run Boston. She's fourteen. She knows brand names. The Boston Marathon has more gravitas than say the Baystate Marathon. I agree, kind of, but, I'm really only interested in races I can official time.
Alka is also pleased I'm running also but, I think she has less understanding of it than Priyanka. Half the time she's asleep when I get back from my nightly runs. She's been less aware of the gradual increase. I know she had fun at Applefest. She was almost as excited as I when I finished under two hours. She's somewhat mystified that with all my running why the WL has stalled. That's not running's fault. That's eating too much.
How to fold more races into the family life? I already said I want to run the Groton Town Forest trail run in two weeks. I've mentioned it. Priyanka wants to see me race. I work a lot of weekends so, sometimes chores only get done on Saturday & Sunday. I may have to work my butt off more on Tuesdays (my day off)to free up time for Sunday runs.
I want to run the Jay Half Marathon in July. Alka's on board for that one. Priyanka will probably be hiking in Philmont, New Mexico on an Explorer (co-ed Boy Scouts)trip. It'll be a child free camping trip. I love Priyanka but, that has a certain appeal. Priyanka feels the same way about Philmont,no parents.
I'm considering running the Hyannis Marathon in February. Training in the New England winter will be hard. Convincing Alka & Priyanka to come freeze their tookuses off to come cheer me on might be harder.
Jenny from LTR tossed out the idea of runners from the thread to come & run a mary or half mary down at the Kentucky Derby Festival in April. That has a big appeal to me. I'd like to run a marathon in the Spring. I don't necessarily want to run/bandit Boston this year. I really would like to meet some of the ladies from LTR. I'll have to talk Alka and/or Priyanka. We don't take a lot of big trips as a family. We went to Houston last year & Yellowstone two years before that. If Priyanka comes she might have to miss a day or two of school. I think the idea of mixing family travel & racing sounds like fun. It may take some sweet talking to convince the ladies.
Dani threw out the idea of LTR doing the New York Marathon or the Half Marathon. New York's the biggie. Not everybody can qualify for Boston but, all you need to get into New York is to get lucky,I think they have a lottery system. Again, a trip to New York would be a fun trip for the family.
Chiaren raised the ante even further by challenging me to try & qualify for Boston. At 45 I would have to run a qualifier in 3:30. That's a 8:00 pace. I just ran Applefest, half the distance at a 9:00 pace. Can my forty something body shave a whole minute off my speed? Maybe. I. Should. Give. It. A. Try.
Priyanka would be pleased. Alka would be amazed. So would I.
I'm Pete.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment